We are hiring!
Open Position: Management Trainee
Applications close October 1
The primary goal of Rediscovered Books is to create a place filled with fascinating books and ideas for people of all ages where the staff has extensive knowledge, skill and passion to share it with others, and where readers of all types can find and buy books that they love. With three locations, Rediscovered Books reaches many readers in the Treasure Valley and beyond and has become a landmark in the community for supporting and caring for books.
At Rediscovered Books, you will have the opportunity to engage with every aspect of the book industry as part of a dynamic organization. Creativity, commitment, and connections move us forward towards connecting more people with books and stories. Ideally you are someone who likes challenges, can think strategically, and will follow through. We currently have a management trainee position available at our company. As part of this position, you will work with all departments of the bookstore, at all locations to gain experience and expertise that facilitates becoming part of our leadership team.
What we offer:
We are offering a full time position with paid time off, a health insurance subsidy, and educational opportunities. With the support of all of our staff, this individual would spend six months learning the skills and knowledge needed to lead the sales floor of our bookstores. The skills needed include customer service, POS expertise, sales ability, communication skills, book industry knowledge, and leadership.
What we need:
We are looking for an individual that is intensely curious about readers, books, and creating connections between people and stories.
- Invest six months in hands-on learning of floor management.
- Store goals and parameters
- Implement plans for sales targets.
- Responsible for end of day Reports on assigned days.
- Follow store policies especially regarding safety, inventory management, staff development, and events.
- Work with booksellers on individual time management and daily goal achievement.
- Train, manage, and develop staff
- Be a positive influence on morale and encourage collegues
- Develop strong customer service, and sales techniques among staff.
- Develop strong customer communication and connection skills.
- Supervise floor operation
- Deep understanding of POS software.
- Basic computer troubleshooting.
- Manage display building.
- Support Marketing Lead in creating content for social media.
- Inventory Control
- Follow used book buying policies and processes.
- Transfer inventory between stores.
- Be able to resolve inventory problems and know when to ask for help.
- Develop and implement customer marketing strategies
- Work with and identify key customer types.
- Keep current with news and trends in book community and neighborhood.
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Excellent writing skills. Preference for experience writing marketing or public relations text.
- Excellent oral communication skills including confidence in publicly representing Rediscovered Books.
- Strong interpersonal skills including experience building and maintaining relationships with a diverse network of individuals and organizations.
- Familiar with the Treasure Valley community (schools, organizations, demographics, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail and ability to shift between a wide variety of projects.
- Time management skills and ability to prioritize a large volume of tasks.
- Love of books and knowledge of a wide variety of books.
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic and willing to learn.
- Availability and willingness to work a mix of days, evenings and weekends.
- Spanish fluency strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 4 years retail experience.
- Hourly wage consistent with industry during training period
- Health insurance subsidy
- Paid vacation
- Bookseller discount
Incomplete applications will not be considered for an interview.