The Read Freely Project
A Partnership Between The Cabin and Rediscovered Books
From one hand to the next, The Read Freely Project aims to connect people through books and break down barriers by putting some of the rich and diverse stories all around us in the people's hands.
This includes an emphasis on the authors and stories that are different from our own, often unheard, and sometimes even banned. Read Freely Volunteers will give away hundreds of books ten books at a time.
How it works:
This is a FREE program.
The only catch? We want people to give these books away in person! Please no online give aways. Whether they are people you love, friendly acquaintances, or strangers at your favorite gym or coffee shop; we find that the best conversations are started when we give books to people we can quite literally hand them to!
More people reading more books, and talking about them with each other, opens the path for more connections between people.
This project is about breaking down barriers and providing access to books and stories reflecting issues and stories that are relevant and that matter. Our right to read, widely and without constraint or censorship - from authors outside our experience, to the unknown and unexpected—is no freedom to be taken lightly.
Last summer we had 75 participants who gave away a total of 750 books during 3 give away sessions in July, August, and September. For 2022, we hope to fund at least 100 participants for a total of 1000 books. In order to do that, our fundraising goal for 2022 is $10,000.
How Can you help?
There are two main avenues for you to help with this project:
- Fund the Project!
- Donate to this project through the Cabin. Donations are tax deductible.
- Purchase a READ FREELY sticker (or lots of them!) for yourself and for your friends, family, and random strangers.
- Donate $100 to sponsor a bag of 10 books of your choosing from our selection. You or your organization will be credited with the donation. Make sure to note the book choice and name when you donate.
- Purchase “Read Freely” t-shirts. Proceeds will support the purchase of books for the project.
- Be a Read Freely Volunteer!